Saturday, January 12, 2013

On Rest at an Academic "Monastery"

Much has transpired since my last post.  The semester started last Monday and I met a new group of students.  The week started and ended well and I am looking forward to getting to know this new group.  There are also some who have been in my classes before, and that is always a treat to have another chance to interact with them.

Then, toward the end of the week I left for Princeton to go to an academic workshop at the Institute for Advanced Study. I write now from that location. I had the privilege and joy of being a member here for the 2011-2012 academic year.  It has been so nice to be back for a few days.  The Institute is, for me, the academic equivalent of a monastery.  The place is devoted to reading, study, silence--both literal, and of the heart.  During their time here, members are freed from running to and fro to meetings, classes, and other activities.  They focus inward on thinking, reading, and putting the insights that come from these activities into their writing.  It is also a place for reflective conversation with others.  During my few days here, I have had wonderful conversations as well as time for reflection and silence.  This is a perfect combination of activities for a monastically-inclined academic.

This less pressured pace has made it easier to come back to prayer and writing.  Of course, my challenge is to make this time even when I'm not in such a peaceful place.  To pray and write even when I'm under the pressure of preparing for classes, organizing the house, and running after my energetic daughters.  It amazes me how quickly the time goes by between times of prayer and reflection when I'm immersed in the swirl of everyday living.  But the start of the semester is always a whirlwind.  As I settle into the new rhythm of the semester once I return, Lord, please help me to endure and mature in the discipline and blessing of prayer and reflective writing. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment